I struggled for a while with changing it because even though it didn't really match the look of my house I was feeling nostalgic about it. But this winter I have really gotten in the mood to make my downstairs someplace that I love to look at. After all that is where I do spend a lot of time...especially during these long winters.
I really wanted to change this wall in my kitchen and make it more functional. The sofa table was nice for party displays or decorations but wasn't all that functional.
The table was pretty in that spot but the wall as a whole felt kind of empty.
So I decided that this cabinet might do the trick.
It had two glass doors, but we broke the glass out (one of the doors blew over in the wind during the sanding process and broke...thank God we were planning on replacing the glass with chicken wire anyway.) After Shaun spent a long time sanding, I used two coats of primer and two coats of paint. Then we added the chicken wire...which took exactly one hour with the two of us working together (in case you were wondering.) I really like the way it came out, except the color I chose occasionally looks pink to me so I might change the color eventually but for now I am happy.
Here is a before (taken in our dining room in our old house.)
(sorry about all of the Halloween pictures)
And here she is now!
The shelf above the cabinet was a one of a few that my mother's neighbor was giving away for FREE. They were all bright red but I knew after a nice white coat of paint I would one day have a spot for them!