Sunday, January 1, 2012

Uncle Mac's Healthy Pancakes

Remember my older brother Matt?


Well, Matt is a bit of a Renaissance man. You know...one of those jerks who is good at everything he does. I hate to admit it, but he is a much better cook than my sister and I. He is really creative in the kitchen and comes up with his own recipes.  Lucky for me (trying to lose baby weight and watch my sugar levels) Matt happens to be on one of his MAJOR health kicks lately. But, like the rest of us Matt still likes to eat and is on a never-ending quest to find healthy food that doesn't taste like you are eating a cardboard box. So would you believe he came up with a healthy version of one of my favorite breakfast foods....pancakes. Yes your heard me....HEALTHY PANCAKES! Now don't get me wrong, they are still pancakes and it's not like eating a protein bar or raw eggs for breakfast, but still- only 5 grams of carbs per pancake?!!!! Come on that's just amazing.


Quinoa Pancakes

These have blueberries and bananas in them, but I'm only providing
 the nutritional information for them plain.

1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt (I prefer Vanilla Chobani for density and low sugar, but others will work)
1/2 Cup Soy Milk (again  I prefer vanilla for flavor)
1 Cup Quinoa Flour (other alternative flours can work, but Quinoa gives you all 9 amino acids, and is gluten free)
1 Egg (I prefer cage free
2 tablespoons of flax seed
2 tablepoons of chia seeds
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

There is always room for variation on the dairy or amount of flour depending on what consistency you want... But these contents have the estimated nutritional value below. 

700 calories for the total batch: 20 g of fat, 13 are omega 3, 51.5 g of protein, 103 g of carbs (23 g of fiber)
Less than 200 calories for a meal (5 medium pancakes) 5 g of fat, 13 g protein, 20 g of carb (7.5 g fiber) 
About 40 calories per medium pancake. 

For additional nutritional benefits, cook the pancakes in coconut oil instead of butter, and use raw agave syrup instead of maple syrup. This will lower the amount of additional sugar as well as improve the fat profile of the meal. They are good plain, but the flour isn't as sweet as standard flour. So, I recommend including some natural sweeteners like blueberries, bananas, or dark chocolate chips. 

 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment